Saturday, February 7, 2009

Riley's "date"

Russ and I have started something with the kids. It started with Randal. Randal is a very good student. He has gotten pretty much straight "A's" since we got him. Which was a huge change from before we got him. We wanted to reward him in some way for his good work. We decided to take him out on a "date." Now that Riley is in school we have started this with him. On his first progress report he didn't get ALL good marks. Now, he is only in Kindergarten and he does REALLY GOOD. On his second progress report he got perfect marks. We told him mommy and daddy would take him on a date. He was really excited. I think this really encourages them to do their best. I don't want them to feel like we expect too much from them, but that we support their efforts.

We let him choose where we went to eat. He chose Kabuki's (with a little "suggestion" from daddy.) It is a Japanese steak house. SOOO GOOD!!! We ate Teppanyaki style. He loves all the fire. He ate a TON of food.

After dinner we took him to get ice cream. Then went over to the arcade. He loved playing all the games. I got a couple of really cute pictures of him and Russ playing the games. He liked the special attention with just mom and dad and I think he felt pretty special. It was also fun for Russ and I to be alone with just him.




8 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is such a good reward for getting good grades. I like it better then just handing out cash!

Sandy Ballard said...

Sounds like fun and you know Riley loved every minute. Cute pics of them together.

The Petersons said...

Who is the little boy in the picture with Riley?

Unknown said...

What a great idea. We've had this thought before, but never get around to doing it. Maybe we'll follow your example & start. I think all kids need one on one time with their parents!

Amanda said...

Sounds like fun, I take the girls on dates occasionally, I'll take one with me and Brian will take the other and Graham with him somewhere. They all need special time with one on one....it's good for them and good for us

Greg, Ang & 4 kidlets said...

I LOVE this idea- especially because the kids get one on one time with their parents. That is so neat. We did start a Daughter's Day since we have Mother's & Father's Day and the girls love it. They get to pick what we do for the day- movie, out to eat, ice skating.

Teri and Richard said...

ok...that just melted my heart...the pics of russ and riley are sooo precious and sweet...they both look so happy to be together...sigh. I love them! hugs!

Jennifer said...

We LOVE date nights with the kids too!

Reagan is so cute showing off her dance moves!!!!

You know...since you mentioned it on my blog...I remember reading those questions on yours! If I had just taken the time to write them down then....